Monday, July 23, 2007

Listening ears

I have been contemplating when it will be time to censor the music and words coming from my radio when PB and I make our daily commute to daycare and work. Our 40 minutes each way is filled with a mix of Minnesota Public Radio, music radio, and mama's CD's. It seems that Peanut Butter is on the verge of language and I would be mortified if his first words were "I like big butts and I can not lie," or "Keep on using me, till you use me up." Now of course he will not start with full sentences, but still at what point is this being absorbed. For that matter, MPR's news is filled with stories of more and more soldiers dying, war, political discord, serious public health issues, and many more things that leave me wanting to shouting "ear muffs!" Am I going to be reduced to a world of Baby Bach and TMBG doing the alphabet? Now, I like a good kids tune as much as the next person, but 40 minutes twice a day might make me batty. If he isn't talking, does that mean it is OK? He can't possible understand what is being said, right?

As I am wandering this land of first child parenting, I have learned that I want PB to keep his innocence as long as possible. I don't want him worrying about death, or AIDS in Africa, or why people go missing. I want him to be sheltered from that. I want him to keep the magic of childhood, the belief in the impossible, the certainty of good, the pureness of heart. So where is that line, and when is it drawn?

2 comments:

Teaworthy said...

We've been thinking about you guys today and hope that everyone is okay. Lots of love.

McKenzie Brickl said...

Megan -- haven't chatted with you for a while. Have you tried Baby Rock Records? They have instrumental/lullaby versions of stuff from Coldplay, Bjork, No Doubt, etc. Even Metallica -- weird.

I have gotten a few of these as gifts to my friends as they have babies and they love them.